Thursday 29 December 2011

My penultimate challenge!

Today is Thursday, I have just under a week left in India and Claudine left today! Don't worry we didn't fall out, it was part of the plan, she left for Dehli today and returns to the UK on Saturday and I didn't want to spend New Years Eve in the bitter cold, sunshine on the beach somehow seemed more appealing, so I am here until the 4th?!!
By now you must have guessed that we had no problems crossing the border back to Kerala, mind you, it helped that we flew over as all other crossings bar trains and planes have been cancelled.
And as we found last time round in this lovely State in India (known as God's own Country), it is sooo hot and humid, needing to constantly have a shower and therefore not really minding that there only seems to be cold water available where we are staying!
Varkala Villa's is very nice, the room passed Claudine's inspection and Sunil, the owner, has been very helpful and welcoming. We are situated on the South Cliff, however, as expected most things happen on the North Cliff! It is only a 25 minute walk over, but climbing up and down a cliff side even with steps, is quite an effort in this heat!
Apart from the two cockroaches we caught (ok we screamed and Sunil caught them), our room was fine. However, now that Claude has left - at 3am this morning! - it all feels very strange and defly quiet!!
We had a great adventure over these last eight weeks - can't believe all that time has passed - and I am not saying it was perfect the whole time, of course we had the odd little 'tiff', but through it all I think we realise we do have a very good friendship that has survived all sorts over the last 27 years and should continue to do so, despite the fact that she drives me insane with her bloody OCD!!! (nothing you don't know already Claude).
And so I have decided to switch hotels and move on New Years Eve to one that is just off the North Cliff and the room not only has a TV but Wifi, which makes me very happy (yes I know, now I am turning into my dad!!). But I feel I need a few home comforts to guide me through the next few days whilst I am out of my comfort zone and alone in a 'strange land'.
At present I seem to be resembling a noughts and crosses game!  you see I have had so many mosquito bites and my ex once informed me that to ease any itching or soreness for bites and stings, one should press one's nail into them and making an indentation like a little cross mark so that the centre of the cross hits the centre of the bite/sting! Strangely enough it works!!! But not very attractive; good job my collection of freckles is building up substantially and acting as fantastic camouflage!
This morning as I woke to a half empty room and no sounds of Claudine tip toeing around trying not to wake me whilst walking into tables, chairs or anything else and crying out 'oh shit', I asked nana, who I think is watching over me, to guide me to meet some nice friendly people that I can spend time with. Then whilst having breakfast at the homestay, I got talking to an Irish woman called Deidre, who arrived two days ago and is here on a yoga break with a bit of touring thrown in. And now I have been invited to join her and her friends for dinner this evening at an Indian lady's home. So I am off to get ready for some home cooking - Indian style. (so much for 'no more curries!!!)

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear you've made some friends - I knew it wouldn't take long. HAPPY NEW YEAR from jacqui guy Fia and tamsin

    ReplyDelete